PDA

View Full Version : Framing question - potential sagging soffit

thezster
08-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Trying to save ceiling height in my basement remodel - wife says: (can't you get it higher?)...... So... below is my soffit drawing. I've got monster HVAC ductwork to get around. Built the soffit essentially with 2X2's but the more I look at it - the more I worry about the ceiling sagging after I put on drywall. I've got 3 1/2 ft. spans essentially with no way to support them more than I've got. If I go back and put 2X4's on edge, I lose another couple of inches of ceiling. Thoughts? Will the soffit hold - or do I sacrifice the ceiling (which would still be in code - but lower than wife wants it).

sulconst2
08-10-2005, 02:06 PM
if i got you right you have 2x2 spaning 3'6".
doesnt sound bad. if you are worried, after inspection, put long fine threaded drywall screws thru 2x2 into trunk line

plumguy
08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
You could always strap the 2x2's in the opposite direction and that would pull everything together and you would only lose another 3/4".

thezster
08-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys... I've got screws in everything to avoid nail slippage - and braced to the upper floor joists as much as possible. I'm going with it as is I guess...... for lack of a better plan....