Resin in Screens

Users who are viewing this thread

Pulpfiction1

Reaction score
just installed a culligan meadalist 30 softener,never having used one i didnt know how to set it up,but think i got close from what i read in the operators manual.the only info i had was from a culligan sales rep that was here with a presentaion the week before and i managed to find a system 8 minths old so i purchased it and installed it myself here.my water is quite hard,according to the test culligan did they number he gave me was 34,i need to get some test strips myself this week but i used that as a start to setting up the softener,although i dont actually feel the water is any softer i do see a ph drop as well as some white scum fading away in my fixtures,(tub,toilet)my question is i have today found some resin in the faucet screen in the kitchen,we removed the screen to inspect the low preasure and found resin clogging the screen.when i picked up this unit we drained the water out of the resin tank and lost about what looked like a 1 qt of the material.my manual says it come with 1 cubic foot of resin so im curious if this loss would be detrimental to the use of the unit,i called culligan yesterday and they wont sell me the product (CULLEX) and say they do the rebedding themselves for the cost of about $500.i dont know what to properly set the unit to make it work proper but the wife says she see's effects. any input would be greatly appreciated

thx

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
installed backwards

if you are seing resin in your faucets you have most likely installed the unit backwards...

you would be wise to shut off the unit at the bypass before you suck al the resin out of the unit and into your p;umbing system....

ask Gary Sussler what to do,
because he could have sold you a CLACK

but one thing I am sure of is.

now the "culligan man " has got you by the balls

Last edited:

Pulpfiction1

Reaction score
dunno how i could hook it up backwards,seems straight forward,line in (hardwater in) line out(soft water out).brine tank,and drain line to....well the drain of course.tedl says that is a trivial amout then i should be fine.ill just have to figure out how to set the machine up proper.the amount in the faucet screen was less than half a teaspoon but enough to slow the flow down,just want to know why it was there,

Last edited:

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
dunno how i could hook it up backwards,seems straight forward,line in (hardwater in) line out(soft water out).brine tank,and drain line to....well the drain of course.tedl says that is a trivial amout then i should be fine.ill just have to figure out how to set the machine up proper.the amount in the faucet screen was less than half a teaspoon but enough to slow the flow down,just want to know why it was there,

Common causes of resin in the plumbing include:
1. Installed backward (inlet and outlet reversed)
2. Broken basket (or tube) in the resin tank (this might occur if you pulled the tube/basket up some when you removed the head to drain water from the tank and then forced it back down when you reinstalled the head)

As to resin--there are three basic types of resin used in residential softeners:
1. standard "high capacity" resin
2. Fine mesh resin
3. SST-60 resin (a proprietary "shallow shell" resin made by Purolite)

All three types are readily available on the internet--prices delivered for one cubic foot range from about $100 for standard resin to about $200 for SST-60. I expect that someone on this board can tell you which type of resin CULLEX is.

Last edited:

Pulpfiction1

Reaction score
ok,makes sense,just a small amount i will remove the head again and inspect the inside compartment best i can.

thx
i will report my findings

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Resin in the plumbing is a serious problem that can be costly to fix and take months to have it cause no more problems.

If you have had the control valve off before installing it, you probably have a problem with the distributor tube o-ring up in the bottom of the control valve or a cracked distributor tube or bottom basket.

Installing a softener backwards happens quite easily, even if you've installed hundreds. Most Culligan control valves come in on the right looking over the front of the control valve, out on the left.

Pulpfiction1

Reaction score
wow!thats a lot of resin,like i mentioned it was a small amount found in the one faucet.is it possible this could of come from the tap running during a regeneration?i did have the head off but seemed to go back on without any hangups,i will take it off this weekend and make sure that everything hooks up proper ,and on this unit if your looking at it from the front,the directional arrows are quite clear,in on the right and out on the left,i can shine a flashlight through the resin tank and marked the level of resin,will see if it drops but it looks the same as yesterday.the water still seems hard but i dont have test strips here to verify,i still dont think i have the head settings configured correctly.

thx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks