Water flow? How long for a branch? Also about soft copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Clem

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for being here. Your help is appreciated.

I am replumbing my whole house which is a 1960 two story ranch about 900 sq ft each floor. City water. My house is about 35' from the meter and has 3/4" PE coming from the meter(3/4") to the house. Inside is currently 45 year old 1/2" galvanized steel running from the PE(where it comes into the house) to the hot water heater and all fixtures except the toilets and small sink in downstair bathroom.

I am planning on replacing the galvanized with 3/4" copper stepping down to 1/2" branches for appliciances and fixtures.

I currently have 23.5 WSF units but would like to add a laundry room sink while I am doing this so would end up with 25.5.

Surprisingly we get OK flow now as long as only one thing is turned on at a time. Hoping to be able to run two showers at once after the repipe. :)

Assuming the pressure is 55-65 PSI will this set-up give me the flow I need?

I looked at the chart and it seems 3/4" would be slightly undersized but I wasn't clear on the distance or elevation factors?

The total distance to the hot water heater from the meter is no more than 90' and maybe 20' back for hot water to the bathrooms. The kitchen is directly above the hot water heater and the washing machine is right next to it. If it makes any difference the meter/water supply is above all fixtures in my house except the upstairs shower. My house sits down from the street/main water supply line.

When branching off/stepping down to 1/2" is there a maximum distance you should go with the 1/2"? I have one instance where the 1/2" could run 10'. Is that too far?

Soft copper? I have never used it before but would like to here. Is it any harder to work with as far as sweating? Any tips to using it? I can definitely see it's advantages behind finished ceilings which is where it will be for about half of its run downstairs how about exposed joist? Probably looks better to use rigid? How about where you branch off? Easier to use rigid there? opinions?

Thanks to all for any help or opinions!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would consider using 1" in from the meter. You gain so much by upping the pipe size up.

I've only used 3/4" pipe for one bath homes. Never two baths.

Inside the home, I would use rigid copper pipe. It's much harder to solder soft than rigid. The pipe is not as round.

https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Clem

Reaction score
Terry - thanks for the tip on the soft copper.

I would consider using 1" in from the meter.

At this point in time the 3/4PE coming from the meter to the house is not gonna change.

So I guess the 3/4 will not quite give me adequate flow? :(

I was hoping being downhill and close to the meter would maybe make a difference.

It certainly will be better than what I have now.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks