Kohler Whirlpool Mess

Users who are viewing this thread

jeremy44230

Reaction score
I recently purchased a "floor display" Kohler Portrait Whirlpool from Lowes and it is missing a part that is not shown on the parts sheet from Kohler. Through numerous phone calls and questioning to both Kohler and Lowes, we have finally identified his part as a "start relay". We took one of these components from a whirlpool at Lowes to try it out on my whirlpool. It worked, but didn't provide the motor with enough power to fully power the jets, they were all very weak. The motor that is in my unit is a 1.25 HP and the motor fromt he unit at Lowes appeared to be smaller... Would this cause my motor to not run at full capacity? Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? Kohler is really of no help beacuse this "start relay" does not show on their parts breakdown sheet.

Please help....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, we will spare you a LONG discourse on your ill advised purchase!

As to the motor, that component may include a start relay AND a run capacitor. Once the motor starts, the relay, or a start capacitor, would not affect its full power. But if the capacitor functions as a run capacitor, which is what I would suspect, then the motor can overheat and/or not run at full speed or power.

And not to rub it in, but now the store has ANOTHER unit with a missing or defective part, to sell to the next unsuspecting sucker!

jeremy44230

Reaction score
Yea, the purchase, in hindsight, was terrible!! I didn't realize that Lowes is not supposed to sell these models until I already had it...

Is it feasible to think that I will be able to get the needed parts?

Also, I returned the part that I borrowed from Lowes (it was given to me by Lowes to try out). I don't want anyone else to have the same problem!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, I would think the whirlpool manufactrurer would help you out here. If they won't send you the part, at least they might tell you what it is exactly, and you could try a local electric supply house.

No one in their right mind takes back electrical components, used, and reinstalls them in equipment to be sold. Stay away from the box stores!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
relay

If Kohler does not list that item in their parts list, then it is a component of some larger item, possibly the motor itself, which IS listed by part number. Get that number from Kohler and then tell Lowes to obtain it for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks