replaceable water supply lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Mudball

Reaction score
We have new construction. There will be a concrete slab. I dont want to go through the attic space to go from the hot water heater to a bathroom across the hall. The bathroom wall will accommodate a 4" vent so there will enough room. My question is there some kind of flexible supply lines I can run from the utility room (where the hot water heater is) through a 4" secondary pipe under the slab ? I want to do this if I can just in case there ever is a leak. Is there such an installation procedure ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may be able to push a piece of pex through a dedicated conduit. It would need to be installed with long sweep joints. It might be easiest if you installed a pull rope when installing the conduit. Sometimes you can use a vacuum cleaner and a string to then pull a rope, which can than pull the pipe. You have to be creative to embed the string in something that would mostly block the pipe so you can actually keep the suction and move it along.

Mudball

Reaction score
I like that idea. I went outside and played around with a piece of schedule 40 1/2" pvc and bent it from out the end of a 4 " pipe and I think the sweep 90 degree (electrical ?) would work just fine. I cant be exact but Im thinking I can save (shorten) the total length of a supply line by 4 to 5 feet rather than going overhead. I also believe I can get by from one end to the other with a full length 8 foot piece or less with no couplings within the secondary.
Thanks

Mudball

Reaction score
Thanks
Why not use pvc if its one continuous piece from one end to the other ?
What product other than possibly pex or is that what you were talking about.
Depending on the height of the water heater then it wont be far from there to where the entrance of the sweep 90 will be. I thought I read one time where pex cant be used in some applications.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1. DO NOT use PVC.
2. DO NOT put any joints under the floor or in your sleeve.
3. DO use electrical extra long sweep elbows.

We're talking about using a pvc pipe as a chase, not using it for drainage or water supply. If you wanted to push or pull pex through it, wouldn't a long sweep make it easier getting around the bend?

Mudball

Reaction score
Yes sir indeed. I believe the idea was to use electrical pipe including the two 90 degree sweeps at each end. I thought hj meant not to use pvc as my supply lines. I guess I will use pvc or pex through some 4 electrical.
Thanks again for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks