Symmons Temptrol cartridge replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

KKKKatie

Reaction score
I have a temptrol fixture in my stall shower. It has been leaking from the shower head for several years, but a couple of days ago, the washers went completely and the drip became a dribble. I have changed cartridges in the past successfully, but this has been a pain in the rear.

I purchased a new cartridge, but the old bonnet nut did not thread fully onto the new cartridge; the bonnet nut would not meet the pipe threads. So, I purchased a new bonnet nut.

Now the question -- with the new cartridge and the new bonnet nut, are there any other washers/gaskets I need to add to the setup? I've got it all together, but there is still a drip from the faucet (where bonnet nut meets pipe). I just want to make sure my only problem is lack of upper-body strength...

Plumguy

Reaction score
There is thin washer that goes between the bonnet and the valve body. When you purchase a new spindle it doesn't come with it, I don't know if it comes with a bonnet I've never purchased one separately.

KKKKatie

Reaction score
Is the packing nut the same as the bonnet nut? The Home Depot DIY book we have calls the piece that goes over the cartridge the bonnet nut. The name makes sense; it is kind of bonnet-shaped.

Of course, the problem has gotten larger. I decided to just let the faucet drip while I took a shower this morning and the water pressure is almost gone. There is a way on this faucet to prevent scalding and no instructions on how to adjust it; could this be part of the pressure problem?

Plumguy

Reaction score
Let's go with Symmons terminology. The cap (bonnet?) has a smaller nut on it that surrounds the spindle (stem) which is called the packing nut. If this is loose it will leak when the faucet is on. The temp setting is a small screw head also on the cap (face).

KKKKatie

Reaction score
Thanks, Plumguy. I started thinking about your question after my impulsive answer and then went to check my hardware. I ended up tightening the packing nut per your instructions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks