Toilet Research - What should I be looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Twynk

Reaction score
Hi!

My husband and I are finally sick enough of our cloggy toilet that we're ready to replace it.

What information do I need to know about the bathroom/current toilet before I can narrow down the field?

I would prefer not to replace the floor if at all possible.

It sounds like 'roughing in' has to do with the amount of space between the wall and the hole in the floor? How would I know how much space is there and how big the hole is?

Alternately, if there is an FAQ somewhere that I missed that answers these newbie questions, please point me there!

Many thank yous!

Feeling klueless, Twynk :confused::confused::confused:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Toilet Roough-In

Your toilet flange is a standard size, to get your rough-in, measure from the wall ( do not count base molding) to the center of the bolts holding the bowl to the floor, this should be somewhere near 12in. a standard rough-in dimension, if you get near 10in you will have to get a toilet with a 10in rough, not all toilets have a 10in. model.

You shouldn't have to replace any floor unless you have damage. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 12" rough-in is "standard". This is measured from the finished wall (not molding) to the flange bolts. These bolts are at the center of the hole in the flange. Now the fun begins. Some homes have odd rough-in distances. I blame the contractors for doing this. Of course the GC will blame the plumbers and visa versa, but for whatever reason, it happens. Then we get to the toilets. Some 12" toilets require less space to install than 12". In fact, the Toto Drake needs only 11". The difference is the amount of space between the tank and the wall. Now for your particular question. The Toto Drake is by far the best selling toilet in the Toto line. Not only is it reasonably priced, it performs like you want a toilet to perform. No clogs, no second flushes. Nice size water spot reduces streaking. My recommendation is the elongated Drake in ADA height and with CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect). Don't waste you time or money on the "Famous well know brands. They have all taken a backseat to Toto. I'd suggest you go to Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets linked from the homepage and read up on the various Toto models.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Do your research. Buy it from a plumbing supply store as well.

I was gonna go with a Toto drake, but then they raised their prices.

I've been very happy with my dual flush American Standard toilet. It sits level, has no blemishes, and flushes like a hot damn! If I'm not mistaken, it uses the same flushing valve as the Caroma which is a fancy Australian toilet maker(fancy to us in North America)

carnation

Reaction score
My recommendation is the elongated Drake in ADA height and with CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect).
There isn't an ADA elongated Drake with CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect) available, is there? I'm having an ADA elongated Drake installed tomorrow afternoon. I spent hours researching, and I don't think the CEFIONTECT option is available with an elongated ADA. If it is, I'm sorry I missed out on it.

hankski

Reaction score
I don't think the CEFIONTECT option is available with an elongated ADA.

That would be the Toto Drake II ADA height with CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect) CST454CEFG
Or the TOTO Ultramax II with CEFIONTECT;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks