How to move a cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

greddy

Reaction score
I have two cleanouts that stick into my bathroom by about 4" or so. One is a smaller cleanout--maybe 3" in diameter, about 2' away from the sink, and sticking up and out of the wall, from the level of the floor. The second one is larger--maybe 4" in diameter, near the toilet (probably a toilet/sewer cleanout I imagine).

I would like to move the cleanouts so they don't stick into the bathroom. Maybe move them to an outside wall, or behind the toilet, or some other inconspicuous place.

Is that hard to do? Does it involve jackhammering the slab? Can most plumbers do this kind of work?

:rolleyes:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

Depending on how the pipe has to be revised to move them, it could make the cleanouts non-functional, and make sure the "inconspicuous" place is not also an inaccessible one when the plumber needs to use the cleanout to unplug the line.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Clean outs

If I needed a c.o. and mine were inside on a slab and needed to clean my sewer, I'd go on the roof and use the stack as a clean out. Or find where the sewer leaves the building, dig down and put my c.o. just outside the house. If on a slab, the sewer won't be too deep.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cleanout

It's obvious that you have not had to go up on the roof with a proper sized snake to rod a main sewer or you would not be so eager to do it. That's assuming they even have a 3" vent through the roof, most plumbers these days run all 2" vents.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Here roof vents are not considered a legal cleanout. Then again, who would want to go on an ice and snow covered roof especially dragging a snake. The same goes for trying to dig for a snow covered cleanout. We are still required to install a full size stack thru the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks