Smelly Bathroom Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

sound_designer

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old house, city sewage, water, etc. In my master there are two sinks. Mine smells from the drain. Both sinks have identical traps but mine is the only smelly one.

This is my 3rd brand new house and I've never had a drain smell before so I'm kinda clueless here.

Any advice you can give me to find out why this is stinking?

Thanks!

Sulconst2

Reaction score
sounds like there is one vent for two sinks.
when you use one sink it siphons the water out of the second sinks trap. put some water into the one that smells to fill the trap then run the other sink and listen if you can here the trap empty. if this is the case you either have a clogged vent from that sink or none at all. imo

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I had this same situation once. I tried using those enzyme pipe cleaning powders with no success. I finally just looked down the tailpiece with a flashlight and realized the problem was a collection of gunk in the tailpiece itself (above the water level in the trap). I found a white plastic brush at a hardware store, designed for this purpose, believe it or not, and after cleaning the pipe, no more smell!

Don't make the same mistake I did -- I ran the brush in and out a half dozen times but didn't think to cover the sink -- sprayed black gunk all over my mirror and countertop. Spread a towel over the sink and avoid the mess!

Plumguy

Reaction score
SteveW is right on the money! Also, baking soda is a great neutralizer for smells in sinks,disposals,etc.

sound_designer

Reaction score
I tried SULCONST'S answer but no luck. Looks like the SteveW might be the winner so I'm gonna try that when I get home today. I'll hit a hrdware store on the way home.

Thanks so far! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks