Non standard size shower receptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffxjet

Reaction score
I have recently begun remodeling the shower and when I ripped out the old receptor. I noticed that my rough in dimensions are 48 X 36.5. This appears to not match any of the standard receptors. Also, my drain pipe is 16 inches from the front wall and 18 inches from the side wall. Where can I buy or have made a receptor to fit these dimensions? Or is this the correct rough in? The 48 side is the deep side, not the wide side.

Keeping the old one is not going to happen, it was a crazy shape and is the reason for the remodel. The builders cut a few inches off the corner of my shower and it is much too small. The new dimenions above are what I'm trying to bring it up to.

I will be putting up marble slabs for the sides of the shower if that helps. Please help, I'm near my wits end trying to get this figured out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By receptor, do you mean the floor, typically called the pan in a shower? All pre-made pans that I've seen (now that isn't all that many!), are symetrical and have the drain in the middle. If you can't move the drain, then you'll have to have a pan made. www.schluter.com makes a pan that then has a waterproofing membrane attached that is made out of a high density foam that is made to be tiled over. You can check the sizes of those, but I'm not sure if there is one that would fit. They can be cut some, if the stock size is not what you want. If you don't want tile on the floor, then you are probably out of luck for a preformed one, if you must have things (the drain, and dimensions) as you indicated. If you were to have a mortar pan made by a qualified mason/tile-setter, then it is eminantely possible. A partner site is www.johnbridge.com for tiling info. First, though, I'd consider determining if moving the drain to the middle of the floor is reasonable. It could be easy, then you'd have more choices.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Order It

Jim, a shower receptor is what we call a one piece shower pan.
Jeff, man-made marble places will make any shape you want. Drains for tubs and showers are almost always in different locations.

jeffxjet

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did find a receptor that was the correct size from Swanstone. Now I just need to figure out how hard it is to move the drain. It's the second floor shower and I'm not confident of my skills at cutting and repairing the subfloor in there. There is only 1 exsposed joist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks