Washer Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

CUTiger06

Reaction score
First post here!

I have a friend who just bought a 1100 sf house thats about 40 years old. The previous homeowners did some cheap repairs to pass inspection for the sell. He and I noticed that in the basement (where laudry hookups are located) that there is no drain stack for the washer. There is a floor drain nearby and a seperate 4" vented drain stack for the bathroom above. I was wondering the best way to drain the washing machine. My thought was to add a drain w/ p-trap to the 4" drain stack. Any thoughts???

Also the 4" drain stack, as far as I can tell, use to be cast iron but was replaced with PVC.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
First post here!

I have a friend who just bought a 1100 sf house thats about 40 years old. The previous homeowners did some cheap repairs to pass inspection for the sell. He and I noticed that in the basement (where laudry hookups are located) that there is no drain stack for the washer. There is a floor drain nearby and a seperate 4" vented drain stack for the bathroom above. I was wondering the best way to drain the washing machine. My thought was to add a drain w/ p-trap to the 4" drain stack. Any thoughts???

Also the 4" drain stack, as far as I can tell, use to be cast iron but was replaced with PVC.

Sounds like you're on the right track but you should run a 2" vent up to the floor above and tie in ~42" above the floor level unless you have a vent (not vented drain) line to connect to in the basement.

CUTiger06

Reaction score
how close to the floor do I need to tie into the existing stack? Any special methods for supporting the drain horizontally?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
how close to the floor do I need to tie into the existing stack? Any special methods for supporting the drain horizontally?

Tie in down low, run a 18-24" stack up from the p-trap for the washing machine drain to tie into. That's typical, remember that the washing machine is pumping the water out on a dump cycle, the stack helps water from backing out of the p-trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks