PDA

View Full Version : Soffit over shower?

Bosun
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi--I'm renovating a bath--need to add lighting and fan--anyone done a soffit over the shower/tub combo for this? Bath runs perpendicular to outside wall for venting--I can just bend the ducting a bit to fit can lighting, I guess. Thinking of a Panasonic fan--how deep (tall) will the soffit need to be?

hj
07-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Normally the soffit drops down to a point 7' above the floor, making it 12" high.

07-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I have 7' ceilings on the second floor of our cape and the upstairs bath has a 6" soffit = 6'6" from floor to soffit and that is fine unless you are very tall.

Bosun
07-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I'll have to measure, but I'm not sure I can give up a whole foot. I'm 6'3", which is a shorty in my family.

hj
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
That is the common dimension. Make yours whatever fits.

johnfrwhipple
07-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Most of the Panasonic fans can also be installed on the wall if your ceiling height is limited.

Last time I checked I think they have one the sits inside a 6-8" opening but most are around 10".

Be careful how it hooks up to be HVAC vent as the HVAV elbow may steal some room from your light.

Howard Emerson
07-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Hi--I'm renovating a bath--need to add lighting and fan--anyone done a soffit over the shower/tub combo for this? Bath runs perpendicular to outside wall for venting--I can just bend the ducting a bit to fit can lighting, I guess. Thinking of a Panasonic fan--how deep (tall) will the soffit need to be?

Bosun,
Why don't you get a combination light/fan so that you don't have to go around 'can' lighting?

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100527 Just for an example. Well short of the height restrictions you may have.

HE