proper way to cut and seal gas/water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

funcxion

Reaction score
Hi all,

we bought a house where the bbq area has gas and water to it. the city says they are not permitted, and its best to cap/seal them off to pass inspection first, THEN re-submit for utilities permit if we wanted to re-connect them.

I wanted to find out where we have to cut off.
for example, we have gas and water pipes coming out of the corner-roof of the house and runs straight down(exposed) the corner of the house and into the ground...where it eventually comes up where the bbq is.
If I was to seal at the point where it exits by the roof, do I cut so its exposing just a bit, or actually have to cut inside the ceiling and hide it sealed?
Same question goes for where it enter the ground, do we leave just enough exposed for the cap to be visible? or do we dig a hole, seal it, and cement over the cap completely?

These will be inspected by the city, so I want to get the cutting right the first time.

here is a link to the pics of the gas and water:
http://picasaweb.google.com/funcxio...?authkey=Gv1sRgCNH96oLtmeeTCw&feat=directlink

Thanks for you help in advanced,

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should not be messing with the gas pipe. I would advise having a plumber do what is necessary to cap the gas, and while he is there, he can do the water as well. Water just leaks and causes a bit of a problem. Gas can ruin your whole day! Assuming that you will be able to get a permit in the future, you would want it relatively easy to reconnect, and homeowners working with gas is not a wise thing to do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bbq

I do not know why they would not allow water to the BBQ area. But gas has very specific requirements when it is buried, and that pipe might not be approved even if you get a permit. Normally the pipe has to be capped before it enters the ground. Depending on the type of pipe to the BBQ, they might want it "removed, damaged, or destroyed" so it CANNOT be reconnected until it is inspected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks