Sewer gas smell in the bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

klewis

Reaction score
For about a year we have off and on smelled sewer gas in our bathroom. There is a tub and also a sepoarate shower. It appears that the smell comes from the tub. The tub is seldom used. It is the drain closest to the sewer line. The tub runs along an outside wall with drain and handles backing up to my closet. I could cut thru the wall in the closet and I would be at the water and maybe drain or vent.

My pluimber said to try to not let it dry out. Good idea but water every few days helps but the smell does return. It has been very hot here in Dallas this summer.

What can I do to determine that it is this p trap?

If it is then what are my options to fix or repair or seal?

If not then what?

KL

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If pouring water in the trap helps but the smell returns after only a few days I would suspect there is an issue with the trap, maybe it's leaking. The trap should take longer to dry out - at the very least a couple of weeks. I'm in South Florida so I know heat - we have a second bath that used to get used very infrequently and never had a sewer smell issue.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Smell in bathroom

Have you opened up the ceiling below to inspect the P trap? Perhaps the P Trap is plumbed wrong and is actually a S Trap which will not hold water every time.

Many times after a remodel the floor heigh changes and the tile guy reinstalls the toilet with the wrong rings and gaskets. I would first check the toliet and the toilet flange and the the Bath tubs P Trap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks