Patching concrete floor after rough plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
eat-sleep-and-code.blogspot.com
Hi,

I'm finishing up the rough plumbing for a basement bathroom. Looking at the hole I've created, I'm getting nervous about how/if I can patch this. I want to tile over top of this, so I want to make sure things are absolutely solid. A couple of suggestions from reading forum posts, google, and talking to a plumber friend:

1. Fill hole with crushed rock. Then 1/2" drill horizontal through existing slab, and epoxy rebar, concrete over.

2. Fill hole with crushed rock. 1/2" rebar pounded vertically into the ground, in a 6" grid pattern. Concrete over.

I've attached some pictures of what I'm dealing with. Inspector has already taken a look at the DWV, and is happy with it. He wants 4" of concrete over top.

-Kevin

Attachments

• 2009.jpg
    2009.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,499
  • 2009 (1).jpg
    2009 (1).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3,298
  • 2009 (2).jpg
    2009 (2).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 11,507
  • 2009 (3).jpg
    2009 (3).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 5,171

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
"1. Fill hole with crushed rock. Then 1/2" drill horizontal through existing slab, and epoxy rebar, concrete over."

That is what I would do.

BTW, that whole plumbing rough in would fail here in Florida.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wyes would be rolled above the flow level.
Inspectors don't like tees below grade on their backs.

My inspectors would fail what you have.
Any fitting below the flood level needs to be treated as a waste fitting, not a vent fitting.

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
I'm struggling a bit here...but I found this picture from the B&D book that I have been using:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8o...hMnfAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9

If I'm understand everyone's comments...the below grade fittings need to be a waste-T, not a vent-T, right? I did use waste-T's, and the only difference I can spot is that I didn't use the long-radius waste-T's to transition the vent to vertical. Maybe the picture appears that I used the vent-T, but that is not the case.

Any pics you can show would be appreciated...I'm just trying to fully understand the comments.

Regards,
Kevin

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
I see you are from Ohio, and that is how its done there from what I remember, besides you said an inspector is happy with it.

I was hired back in the winter of '85 to finish a Motel 6 in Dayton, it was a learning experience I'll never forget. It took the 4 of us a week to figure out what all the stacks coming up though the slab were for. Every fixture there was dry vented.

BTW, I remember we had to plug off all vents and put a test ball down the 6" clean out towards the sewer tap, put enough water into the clean out to give a water seal in the clean out. Then use this devise to put air into the entire waste system and hold a 1" column of water for 30 minutes in order to get our final inspection, Do they still make plumbers do that test???

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
I see you are from Ohio, and that is how its done there from what I remember, besides you said an inspector is happy with it.

I was hired back in the winter of '85 to finish a Motel 6 in Dayton, it was a learning experience I'll never forget. It took the 4 of us a week to figure out what all the stacks coming up though the slab were for. Every fixture there was dry vented.

BTW, I remember we had to plug off all vents and put a test ball down the 6" clean out towards the sewer tap, put enough water into the clean out to give a water seal in the clean out. Then use this devise to put air into the entire waste system and hold a 1" column of water for 30 minutes in order to get our final inspection, Do they still make plumbers do that test???

C NUMB,

I was just reading this post that if it's a dry vent system, you can use a sanitary T on it's back. If its a wet-vent, there's no way you can do that because of the sharp bends. The vent system is dry...there will be a connection to my existing house stack 42" + 6" + couple more for extra insurance above the floor, and so this new basement bathroom will have it's own dry vent system.

I also saw your post on the trap primer. I have never heard of those, but the idea makes sense. Inspector didn't say anything when I specifically told him I replaced the old clay floor drain/p-trap with the new PVC floor drain/p-trap.

Thanks,
Kevin

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I also saw your post on the trap primer. I have never heard of those, but the idea makes sense. Inspector didn't say anything when I specifically told him I replaced the old clay floor drain/p-trap with the new PVC floor drain/p-trap.

Thanks,
Kevin

Trap primers aren't required in all areas. For the little amount of $ and time to install I wouldn't go without one. I tend to spec PPP inc. primer valves if that helps.

For home use if you don't want to use a valve you could use something like this: PPP Tailpiece Trap Primer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks