Low voltage transformer help

Users who are viewing this thread

wirenut

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an American flag that I would like to light up so it can stay out at night. With the energy prices for electricity going up in my area, I would like to do it as economically as possible. My choices (I guess) are to hard wire a light and use a spot or flood bulb to light the flag. Put it on a timer and I'm good to go. However, I'm not sure what the smallest watt bulb that is available and really how much light I will need. The other choice is to go with a low voltage set-up. I already have a new Malibu low voltage transformer/timer that will run up to 88 watts of low voltage lights. But my question is how mant watts does the transformer draw and would that method really cost more to use than a hard-wire job. The transformer is 120 volts at Max. 1 amp. If you figure that out with the formula, then it seems it would use 120 watts, but is that at max. 1 amp or what would it use with say only 60 watts of low voltage lights attached in the circuit! Do you guys see the problem here? I need some good answers from someone who knows his stuff. If you can help me solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated> Thanks.
Wirenut

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
'Former or not, use a CFL flood light or use an LED flood light, if you can find one.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it's a sizable flag on a tall pole and you want it well lit, use a 12V par50 watt VNSP (very narrow spot) in a landscape well light, using your 88W transformer.

A simple 12V, 35 or 50 watt MR16 fixture with a VNSP lamp will work if the flag pole is under 15' tall.

If it is a small flag on a short pole hanging on your house, a $30 solar LED will work.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have an American flag that I would like to light up so it can stay out at night.

Set fire to it (and replace each night). The rights afforded to you under the First Amendment (freedom of speech) allow you to do this legally. :)

I'd use an LED or two if the flag is not too big.

I like this site for my lamps: www.superbrightleds.com

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks