can't stop the leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

djcd34

Reaction score
I had a new hot water heater put in. Ever since the install my bathroom faucet and showerhead leak scolding hot water. I can even feel the heat from the pipe in the floor. Anyone have any ideas why?

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Do you have an expansion tank? Do you know if you have an open system or closed? Check the temp on the tank. It should be set at 120f. If you have high water pressure to begin with, the elevated temperature would cause expansion in a closed system (hence the expansion tank)and could be causing your faucets to leak due to pressure. Another possible reason is debris that has broken loose from old pipe connections during the tank change out. Sometimes the debris will work itself out. That usually results in slow/plugged shower heads, leaking toilets, plugged screens on faucets and sometimes leaky fixtures. Start with the temperature, turn it down to 120, find out what your water pressure is at the house. It should be under 80lbs. If that doesn't work then check for debris in the shower and faucet heads. If you find debris then maybe you have some stuck in the fixture itself. Then it would need to be taken apart and cleaned.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some good reasons to have the water in the tank hotter than 120, but if you do, you should have a tempering valve to drop the output to the fixtures.

If you have a closed system, after draining hot water from the tank (say a long shower or filling the tub or washing machine), when the cold that replaced it gets heated, it expands. Since the pipes won't balloon much, high pressure will leak at the weakest point. This is where an expansion tank is required.

Where I live, an expansion tank AND a tempering valve are required on ALL WH installations, even if it is not a closed system.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I had a new hot water heater put in. Ever since the install my bathroom faucet and showerhead leak scolding hot water. I can even feel the heat from the pipe in the floor. Anyone have any ideas why?

did these fixtures leak water before? If not, debris may have gotten stuck in the valve and is allowing constant flow from the water heater. is this bathroom located adjacent to the heater? Kitchen or laundry affected?

djcd34

Reaction score
open and closed

Thanks for the help with my leaks. What is the difference between an open and closed system? My leaks are only happening at the showerhead and the bathroom faucet and they both only leak hot water. If its debris in the vavles how can I take them apart with the hot water leaking out? Drain the tank?

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know the layout of your house but, you should have a shut off valve on your water heater. shutting this off should stop the flow of hot water through your problem valves and allow work to be done.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One other thought about the pipes being hotter than with your old tank...

The thermostat might be set higher or the old one had heat traps at the WH outlet and the new one doesn't.

A leak would keep hot water in the pipes, sort of like a recirculation system. Resolving the leaks may resolve what you perceive as hot supply pipes since they would cool off in between uses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks