Exterior Spigot Profusely Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

metalhead212

Reaction score
I didn't see an "introduce yourself" area for me to post my hello so I'll do it now.

Hello to everyone!

Before I get into my problem I have to say I have found a TON of very useful information off this forum in the few hours i have had to browse through the postings. You all deserve a big thank you for all the help and good advice that I have read.

Anyway, with that said. I found this forum because I am having an issue with my outside water spigot. Yesterday i went to turn on the water and I think I might have twisted the valve to far and stripped out some threads or something because when I went to shut it off, when I was finished, it continued to steadily dribble out. Not knowing what to do I tried to tighten it a little more but no luck. My house was set up by some half-ass handy man who didn't really think through his extremely unintelligent ideas on how to run piping through the house so I have discovered that only two water lines have an emergency shut off valve. If I want to shut the water off to any other faucet in or outside of the house I have to go to the main.

So with my problem I decided to take my chances and see if there was a shutoff valve somewhere in the house. I followed the twisting turning pipe for about half an hour and managed to find a shut off valve crammed right up next to the wall. I shut the valve and wouldn't you know it, the darn thing is to corroded to completely kill the water flow so now I really have no clue what to do as it is still somewhat steadily dripping outside.

The spigot needs to be replaced, I guess. It is an older kind. I can't read the name but I know it is predated to the frost less kind. I will go home and see if I can't snap a few pictures to show you all what I'm talking about, but what is the worst case scenario that I'm looking at to get that spigot fixed, and what does it all involve?

I'm assuming something along the lines of cutting the pipe off before the emergency shut off and just running a new line, soldering it, and being done with it BUT how can I address the malfunctioning emergency shut off without having to go kill the main and go through all that hassle?

Thank you all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks