gavanized nub too long/short

Users who are viewing this thread

areselle

Reaction score
Hi --I'm installing a Kohler shower fixture, and they say it has to have a 3/4" nub beyond the finished surface. With a 4-1/'2" nub it sticks out about 1-1/16" (I've really cranked it in as far as I can). With a 4" nub it in principle will be just over 1/2". Is it possible to cut galvanized pipe? Am I better being longer or shorter.

Thanks,
Areselle

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, I'd not use galvanized at all in this application - I'd use brass. Worse comes to worse, you could get one made to your exact dimensions. Buying a thread cutting die would cost more than having it done for you. A well stocked plumbing supply probably has them in assorted lengths - if you're lucky, one would be a stock item.

While the nipple (it's not called a nub, at least in the US) in galvanized might last a long time, especially if you cut it, would rust.

areselle

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim, it's not too late to go with brass, which is what I'll do.

Areselle

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks