New User Hello - Old panel rebuild - photos coming? Some help old timer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Vict1912

Reaction score
Thanks. It's nice to meet you guys and any ladies.

I've got an old 1912 Victorian house. Vandalized about a year ago.
The electric panel was removed down to the backplate. It sat on
the house until 1 hour ago when it was removed to take it to
some old timers to see if it can be rebuilt. 1975 was when it
was installed.

I don't need lots of power like A/C or lighting. I'm happy with
clothesline and low speed drying.

Lest you care. I'm degreed in Electronics and worked around
most electron carrying materials since I was 3. We had rentals
and I was a designer of laboratory instrumentation. I'm 56 next year.

I was just wondering if there's a few residents here who would
look at some photos when I get them. Let's see if we can
determine the brand of what I've got.

Thank you.

I'll be here for you when you post says 0 replies.

Andre in California.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can post the pics but I think you would be far better off just picking up a new panel.....why you would want to go to all the trouble of trying to find parts for an old unit makes me scratch my head...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have trouble finding the innards for a 35 year old panel. What's more, it may turn out to be Federal Pacific, Zinsco, or Pushmatic.....( dinosaurs which should be summarily sent to extinction)

We realize you have time on your hands, and I share your old-school attitude of "fix rather than replace". I can tell you that we are in a world that does not exist any more. Almost everything is disposable. Parts to fix old things often just don't exist.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go look at the prices of new electric panels. Not very much.

And look at the price difference between a 10 slot panel and a 40 slot panel. Not much.

Then you are going to need breakers. These would be easier to buy for a new panel than an old panel.

Then there are now new types of breakers like GFCI, and AFCI which might not be available for an older panel.

And newer panels have "whole house surge protection" devices which snap into a double breaker slot. You are not going to find this for an older panel.

So basically you are looking at going to the store to buy a breaker and you can take your pick of several different types. The shelves are filled with breakers for your new panel. As opposed to their not having even one breaker for your old panel at *any* store you go to, and you waste an entire day driving around looking for what you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks