How much lip for Fernco needed?HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdunbar

Reaction score
There is a 2in cast iron pipe for shower drain which has been snapped just above the Bell coupler. It is jagged, ranges like teeth from about .5in to 1in. Surface was crusty but solid. First the plumber used Fernco 2in cast to 2in ABS. This allowed a leak to seep from cast iron (at the Fernco connection). I've removed and put in a different fitting, this one said it was for 2in brass(or copper , I forget) to 2in cast iron. The rubber was a bit thinner and the metal sleeve was all rippled, not like the smooth metal Fernco.
This latter fitting does not leak, and I was able to get it pretty sung up to the Bell. I've ran 30 gallons of Hot water, not leaks past 2 days.

To clarify, this is going on cast iron to ABS P trap.

The plumber said (when it was leaking, and he could not fix it) option is to remove the old bit of pipe inside the Bell, clean out the lead and oakum. Then to put a new 2 in pipe inside it and fill it with epoxy.
My main question: should I leave it as is or do the whole "clean out bell , epoxy" route. Currently I could slide tub out and they could get at the Bell. But once I tile, it will be impossible to get to bell if it starts to leak. However I can still get to the fittings and replace later, just not inside the bell.

A main concern is I am not sure how much pressure they put on the pipe if they try to clean out the oakum. Dont want it to break beyond the Bell.
Please gimme pro's or cons. ASAP. I am in a great deal of stress over this remodel. Plumbers who created the leak refuse to return my calls.

geoff

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

1. Any one who does not know how to make a new oakum/lead joint and wants to use epoxy is not a plumber.
1a. A plumber would have cut the pipe square and clean and not left a jagged end.
2. Removing the piece and installing a new pipe with a proper connection is the correct way to do it.
3. If anything happens to the joint after you set the tub and finish the room, you will not know about it until it creates a major problem.

Last edited:

Gdunbar

Reaction score
yea I hear you.
I wonder, is Lead joints even allowed in California?

gd

p.s. also HJ, what would be a normal price for pouring a new joint and short stub for pipe.? Nevermind labor for sliding tub out etc...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks