Flushing drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

GreekGuy7

Reaction score
After rodding out a drain or even plunging it, is it best to flush the lines with cold water or hot water? I can see the benefits of each but was wondering what works best from your experience. Thanks!!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
After rodding out a drain or even plunging it, is it best to flush the lines with cold water or hot water? I can see the benefits of each but was wondering what works best from your experience. Thanks!!

Depends on what exactly you snaked out of the drain. When I'm augering and I'm breaking through something like toilet paper, roots or crud I just usually run cold water through the bathtub. This isn't really to "clean" the drain it's more to help carry away the stuff I'm breaking lose.

If you're snaking something like the black build up you find in bathroom sink lines and kitchen sink lines then I always run hot water. For grease and the like I always use hot water too.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

It is like the disposer in the kitchen sink. When you are grinding, you use cold water to congeal the grease and make it a solid mass for the disposer to grind up. But if it gets into the pipe and congeals, then you need hot water to "dissolve" it and make it a liquid. After snaking the line, I fill the sink with hot water and run it through the disposer to flush the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks