View Full Version : Need Help Identifying Tub Faucet, Delta ScaldGuard

06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I want to replace the faceplate -as it has been leaking, and the knob -because it gets nasty mildew behind it. I've purchased two kits and neither matched. It looked like a Delta knob, but our other shower still has the button and it just has an arrow on it, no name. Can anyone help me identify this brand? Just a last ditch effort before we have the plumber rip out several tiles to replace all the workings behind the wall.
Not sure if these links will work. Please reply if they don't.



06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Delta ScaldGuard.

06-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Great but is there a replacement handle that will fit other than that yucky clear plastic one?

06-24-2009, 08:18 AM
There are a lever, and a metal round one, normally used in hospital settings, but available at some parts stores or as a special order.

06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
That was a 1600 series. Not a long-lived model. I don't think Delta has any trim parts any more. Aftermarket stuff is available, but variety is slim.

01-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Right... this was the old Delta-Mix 1600 series valve from the mid 1970s-'80s. These could be had with or without Scald-Guard depending on the stem valve used (use RP2090 stop stem for Scald-Guard applications).

My 1985 Delta Faucet Canada catalog shows this model with this escutcheon variation, although our versions (the domestic, or U.S., market) are more or less similar to the Canadian market ones. The 1989 and later 1600s used the round 600-series escutcheons until being discontinued in 1993 in favor of the 1300 series, although since 1989 these models were supplanted by the new 1500-series Monitor valves.

The 9/1978 printing of the official Delta Faucet Genuine Parts catalog shows the following models applied to this escutcheon design:
Part no. RP3501: models 1702/1704, 1712/1714, 1722/1724 and 1746/1748
Part no. RP3502: models 1802/1804, 1812/1814, 1822/1824 and 1846/1848
Part no. RP3543: models 1602/1604, 1612/1614, 1622/1624 and 1646/1648
Part no. RP4100 (with push-button diverter): models 1606/1608, 1636/1638


01-02-2014, 05:57 AM
"Scaldguard" valves also had a pressure balancing spool in the body to the right of the handle, which is what made them "scald guard".