Water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexdc99

Reaction score
Does a propane hot water tank cost less to run than an electric model. I mean actual money cost to operate per month.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
propane

It would depend on the actual costs of propane and electricity in your area, but as a general rule the answer would be yes, propane is much cheaper to run than electricity.

wyeme

Reaction score
Electricity cheaper here

Hi,

I am building my own home and had originally designed a system with propane that includes DHW and radiant heat preheated by solar going into a propane water heater. However, I began some btu and kwh calculations and found that electricity is much cheaper here. In fact, I had already had my 500 gallon propane tank set, which requires a minimum usage, and am having it removed and replaced with a smaller one that will feed only the gas range. There are a number of online calculators that can help to compare btu and kwh costs. Googling it will return some good results.

That is here in Virginia. As they say, your results may vary. :)

Jrejre

Reaction score
wyeme - I'd be interested to know what your LP gas and electric rates are there. I'm in MN and I pay about $1.19/gal for LP and $0.075/kwh (varys by season)...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Energy Guide ratings on the tank supercede the varying costs from state to state.
I don't know of one electric water heater on the planet that can be more efficient than a gas/propane heater.
Electric always show a $400 energy guide rating and gas always has around $165. The burner to a gas water heater is very similar to a large burner on your gas stove. Utility costs can change quickly over the course of a short time and piss away any current numbers on better savings from one cost perspective to another. Gas water heaters last a great deal longer too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas/electric

The energy guides still have to be adjusted for local costs. Heavily subsidized electric areas, such as the TVA, can operate electric heaters almost as cheaply as gas, if not even cheaper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks