View Full Version : Toto CArlyle install

10-21-2004, 08:37 PM

I like the look of the toto Carlyle for a remodel. What does it mean when it says water supply rough in is wider that standard 5" rough in? Does this mean you cant just replace the old toilet? Is it expensive to have changed? Help! No clue. ellen

10-21-2004, 10:31 PM

The Carlyle fits closer to the wall than most toilets.

Therefore the water supply needs to be 7" to the left of center or it will hit the back of the toilet.

Sometimes plumbers have roughed in the water supply closer than that.

When I install a Carlyle, I ask the homeowner for a measurement over the phone so a decision can be made as to whether it will fit "as-is" or if the water supply needs to be moved.

With copper pipes in the wall, I can solder on a 90 el and a short piece of copper pipe and move the shutoff to the left.

There are many bathrooms that fit as they are. Each case is different. I now "rough-in" the water supplies at 8", which as I remember has been used by other brands as their suggestion too.