PDA

View Full Version : Tile to floor on tub surround?

sting88
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Two questions:

1] should I run the tile of my tub surround down the edge of the tub right to the floor? Or just stop at the tub edge? Is there a right/wrong with this?

2] And what about the top... should I go right to the ceiling? I was going to stop about 1 foot from the ceiling, just above the showerhead and leave a 1 foot band that would simply be painted.

Lance

jadnashua
06-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Most of the time, it works better to tile to the floor, since there will often be a few drips here and there and tile handles it better.

Tiling above the showerhead is a matter of preference. I tiled to the ceiling (and some actually tile the ceiling, too). Not because it is the right thing to do, but because I liked it in my situation. If your ceiling isn't level, it can be a pain. In my case, I was using granite tile, and made my own cove molding from 2" strips, with a back-bevel 45-degree. Since the tile was installed on the diagonal, it easily hides the height differences in my ceiling.

kingsotall
06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Have you posted pics of the work you did, Jim┐ If not, lets check it out! Your time to shine... :)

When there are steamers they will tile the whole shower. Top to bottom.