Drain pipe snapped! Help please!

Users who are viewing this thread

MFromm

Reaction score
I am quite a plumbing rookie, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the problem:

I was preparing to install a new sink in our half bath, and when i went to connect the s-trap to the drain pipe coming from the wall, about two inches of the brass pipe snapped off. The pipe is now quite jagged. My question is if there is a repair for this problem or do I need to replace the drain pipe from the wall? If I need to replace it, is it a hard/expensive job? Do I need to call a professional?

Thanks for any help you guys and gals can offer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How much is sticking out of the wall? If there is at least an inch or so, you can probably saw off the jagged edge and use a compression fitting to attach a new drain line. A picture would be helpful. My unprofessional opinion.

MFromm

Reaction score
There is still probably about 3 - 4 inches sticking out of wall. I will try and get a picture soon. Do you think that is enough for a compression fitting?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It is not a question of whether it is enough, but if it is too much. Most drain traps do not have a very long horizontal piece so a compression coupling, along with the necessary pipe at either end may be too long for the space available. A plumber would remove the pipe from the wall because the remaining piece is probably just as weak as the one that broke off. The degree of difficulty for removing it depends on how it is attached at the wall. It could be soldered in which would be the most difficult, or it could be a compression connection which merely requires loosening a nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks