Plumbing Main for Potable Water

Users who are viewing this thread

GranBossito

Reaction score
This is for a new feed from the street to the house. What factors determine the size of the pipe? Is 2" the correct size of the copper main from the street to the house? Am I correct that the size of pipe is only related to water volume and has nothing to do with water pressure and that water pressure in the house is determined by the water pressure in the street? What can I do to insure a good amout of water pressure throughout the house? Thank you for your concern. :)

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I size based on GPM requirements and fpm (feet per minute) which takes care of psi.

2" is absolutely huge for a residence unless you're building a 20000 sq. ft. mansion.

Most cities will have a chart based on a fixture count or wsfu's (water supply fixture units.
What is your layout?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
size

Pressure and volume are two sides of the same coin. IF the pipe is the correct size, or larger, then you will have adequate volume with little loss of pressure. IF the pipes are undersized, then there will be a specific pressure drop depending on the volume, up to the point where you reach the limit of the pipe. At that point you cannot get any more volume without increasing the pressure loss, but that increased pressure loss would also prevent any increase in volume, so you are at the maximum for that pipe. It is also the point where you would have the maximum sound level from the flowing water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks