No Ceiling Joist available for wall???

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
My remodel continues.... While I've done lots of remodel work before - It's never been in a basement. Due to overhead HVAC and water/electric lines, I don't have ceiling joists to attach a couple of my walls to at the top. I plan to shoot braces into the concrete walls and attach those to my new wooden walls every couple of feet. Kosher???

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are not load bearing walls, so anyway that will work is OK. A method of anchoring to concrete that I have found fairly easy is to use a hammer/drill, lead ferrells, and screws. What I do is to cut the 2x4 to size abd drill holes in the where I want to put the screws. Then hold the board in place and drill into the concrete using the board as a template. You can do one, then put the ferrell in, screw the board to the wall, position it for square, and drill the rest of the holes. Then swing the board aside to access the new holes. I also use screws for most of the carpentery work when doing this kind of job. Sure makes it easier working in places where you can't swing a hammer not to mention being able to easily remove and reposition if you get something out of place. I invested in an inexpensive rotary/hammer drill for these kind of jobs. Sure is a handy tool even if it isn't one I use everyday. (Something like $100 including a few bits and chisels)

TheZster

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
These are not load bearing walls, so anyway that will work is OK. A method of anchoring to concrete that I have found fairly easy is to use a hammer/drill, lead ferrells, and screws. What I do is to cut the 2x4 to size abd drill holes in the where I want to put the screws. Then hold the board in place and drill into the concrete using the board as a template. You can do one, then put the ferrell in, screw the board to the wall, position it for square, and drill the rest of the holes. Then swing the board aside to access the new holes. I also use screws for most of the carpentery work when doing this kind of job. Sure makes it easier working in places where you can't swing a hammer not to mention being able to easily remove and reposition if you get something out of place. I invested in an inexpensive rotary/hammer drill for these kind of jobs. Sure is a handy tool even if it isn't one I use everyday. (Something like $100 including a few bits and chisels)

Thanks Gary... I ended up using a $40 Remington "shooter" to anchor.... Works great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks