Remodel - moving dwv

Users who are viewing this thread

mielcita

Reaction score
Hi. I recently removed some furdown boxes in my bathroom during a remodel. Back to back double vanity with shared dwv and wall in between. Here's the wife's side:
dwv_dbl_lav.jpg

Problem is, I'd like to wall up that area, but don't want to put back the furdown box.
How do I move the dwv since it seems that above the wall is a load bearing header?

Thanks in advance.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The simplest thing you could do would be to drop the ceiling down about a half a foot so that you wouldn't need to box around that vent stack anymore.

mielcita

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. However, i want more openness and not less. Besides, there is a shower on the other side of the bathroom that would get in the way of dropping the whole ceiling down. If that's not what you meant, please explain.

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Is the other side of that wall a closet? If so, you change that offset so it goes to the other side of the wal and then reconects to the vent stack in the joist cavity above that load bearing wall.

I ran into a similar problem and had to move the vent stack to an adjacent, non load-bearing wall.

You may also be able to offset the vent to the corner of the room, leaving only a small area that would need a false wall, or boxed in area in the corner.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Normally, you would just offset it around the corner and go up in one of the other walls, but in your picture, it appears you have the same problem no matter where you try to run it.

mielcita

Reaction score
Is the other side of that wall a closet? If so, you change that offset so it goes to the other side of the wal and then reconects to the vent stack in the joist cavity above that load bearing wall.

To the right of the picture (behind that wall) is a double walk-in closet with a wall in between. The wall in between the closets runs along that same header/load bearing piece.

So I guess I'm going to try going through the wall into the closet and having a false wall/box in the closet rather than the bath area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks