How much is my faucet leak costing me?

Users who are viewing this thread

ezra.rodriguez

Reaction score
I have a hot water leak that loses about 20 Gal per Hour. I am wondering if someone knows roughly how much money this is losing me per hr (or day).
A ballpark number is fine, I'm trying to convince the landlord that it's losing more money than they claim.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have a hot water leak that loses about 20 Gal per Hour. I am wondering if someone knows roughly how much money this is losing me per hr (or day).
A ballpark number is fine, I'm trying to convince the landlord that it's losing more money than they claim.

Can not really answer that since we have no idea how much you are paying for the water, if your water heater is gas or electric. But the energy to heat the water you are leaking is another factor. If your landlord will not repair the leak call a city inspector, they will convince him in repairing the leak.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
In my city, according to their chart, you would pay $3.01 per 1000 gallons (5001-10000 gallon range).
20GPH = 480 gallons/day
480gpd x 28 days (4 wks) = 13440 gallons
13.44 x $3.01 = 40.4544
You would be spending ~ $40/month for just the water.
Then you need to figure out wasted electricity.

20 gallon/hour is a pretty sizable loss.....your landlord is not concerned with this???
Check your lease and what rights are afforded to you as a renter based on your location (State/County/City or even Community regulations).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks