Troublesome leak

Users who are viewing this thread

MVelyas

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am new to this forum, am not a plumber nor do I have ambitions to do more plumbing than is necessary.

I have a Toto toilet that has recently started leaking at the point where a plastic flanged nut attaches to the flush mechanism on the exterior (underside) of the tank.

I've put in a new gasket, tried reseating the assembly, tried more tightening of the nut, less tightening, etc. but I still have a leak.

At one point I had shut off the water to the toilet, flushed but not yet emptied the last bit of water out of the tank. I stepped away to answer a call; when I came back I noticed that despite the fact that enough water remained in the tank to cover the gasket, the entire underside area was bone dry. I filled the tank manually, with water from the tub. I did not turn the toilet supply back on. I let this sit for long minutes. Despite the full tank, the joint and surrounding floor remained totally dry.

I then turned the toilet supply on; within a few seconds I could see water beading where the flanged nuts contacts the underside of the tank. The water supply connection to the threaded plastic pipe of the flush mechanism is definitely not leaking; the leak is without a doubt coming from the area of the plastic nut/tank bottom/internal gasket but only when the water is turned on.

I thought the plastic pipe might have a hairline crack that occurs below the internal gasket but have been unable to detect any despite close examination.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Your time, input and expertise are very much appreciated.

MVelyas

Reaction score
Replace the fill valve it is cracked

Thank you very much, Redwood. That was indeed the problem.

A cheap, fast, almost effortless fix. When I think about the amount of time expended yesterday trying to repair what I initially thought was some error on my part....damn.

Lesson learned. Valuable knowledge for the future.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
.I thought the plastic pipe might have a hairline crack that occurs below the internal gasket but have been unable to detect any despite close examination.

You already knew what the problem was you just needed confrmation!:D
It was an easy one!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks