plumbing leak in remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

will

Reaction score
What to do. I am remodelling the bathroom. Installed thermostatic valves (2),
water volume controls (3) ,shower heads etc. When I pressurised the system
there were about three spots where the male to female fitting were attached that I had a very small leaks. Not squirting. Just enough to well up around the fittings. Not enough to catch in a container for longer than a couple of days, and then that amount was less than an ounce.

I went back this weekend to cut out the offending valves, but the leaks have sealed and are no longer identifiable. The system has remained pressurised for about 6 weeks now. The pipe is 1/2" copper. I used three wraps of teflon tape at the male to female threads.

What to do now?

Tkanks
Will

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
my guess

you didn,t use unions and sweated too slose to the teflon tape. seems to have sealed ok.

Plumguy

Reaction score
If it has been six weeks does that mean that these valves will always be accessible? If so, then don't touch them. However, if you are going to cover them up then I guess you posting the problem answers your'e own question. Fix them and put it to bed, you'll feel a lot better in the morning! :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Plumguy. It's holding OK so don't mess with them unless the joints will be covered. If you redo them, you might want to consider using pipe dope instead of tape. I quit using tape and went back to the good old fashioned pipe dope on threads because I found I had sometimes had problems with the tape. I think sometimes I may have been trying to use too much, and it was always a hassle to get the tape just right on the threads. For me at least, it seems much easier just to daub on the pipe dope, and I have more confidence that I will have a good sealing joint. I know some plumber use both tape and dope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks