Basement Roughed in Plumbing Help

Users who are viewing this thread

CF34

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start framing my walk out basement. I had the builder put the roughed in plumbing in the basement when house was built. Starting from the left is the sink drain, then toilet and the sandbox for the shower. My question is in regards to the pipe in the rear of the picture behind the sandbox. I assumed it was a vent pipe. I racked out the walls for the bathroom and this pipe is right in line with the sink drain. If this is a vent pipe, what will be the best way to tie in? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
your post tells you have no plumbing experiance

i suggest you hire a plumber.your health and the neighbor,s may be at risk ,otherwise. i,m not being mean,just honest. do you know the use of a sanatery t and a long sweep 90?

CF34

Reaction score
Made no reference to doin it myself, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Besides I didn't know it was a requirement to know the difference between the use of a sanatery t and a long sweep 90 to post a message. I am just trying to get an answer to see what the pipe is behind the shower. Builder says it is a wet vent. I just want to see if this is going to be a bigger project than what I expected. Obviously my first post wasn't worded correctly, sorry.

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I cant get the link to come up. I, as I'm sure all the other plumbers, would be happy to help you out if we can. Could you repost the link to the picture so we can all get a look at it?

Thanks! :D

CF34

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I can't get it to link now either. So I'll attach it . Hope that is ok. I really just want to know what is the pipe coming up behind the shower.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

Toolaholic

Reaction score
see pix now

is there an adjacent stud wall with a vent going up stairs? you have given us too little info. the plumber you use will have to advise, i think

the 4" is for your toilet. how about a pix of the ceiling above? that may help. oh, and the fitting questions. just an example of what most diy don,t know.

been at this 43 yrs. i feel bad when the new owner is stuck with a hacked plumb job that doesn,t work properly, and the old owner is no where to be found,!

Plumguy

Reaction score
CF34 said:
Sorry about that. I can't get it to link now either. So I'll attach it . Hope that is ok. I really just want to know what is the pipe coming up behind the shower.

It looks like to me the pipe behind the shower box is just an individual vent for the shower. And the one to the left of the toilet is for a lav that is also a wet vent for the toilet. I'm a little suprised to see 4" for the toilet but, I guess that is how things differ around the country.

CF34

Reaction score
Exactly, and that is what I am afraid of. I guess the best thing to do is get a plumber over here and find out exactly what is going on. I'll try to speak with the builder as well, but so far they have been no help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

There is no "generic" pipe installation. The purpose for each pipe depends on how it is connected to the rest of the system. Normally in your installation, one 2" vent pipe and the 4" toilet pipe would be all that were necessary. If the "left" pipe is 1 1/2" it is too small to be a vent for the toilet or to be used for a wet vent for the lavatory, but the "right" one could be the toilet vent and the left one the sink drain although if it is 1 1/2" it is smaller than most plumbers would use.

Plumguy

Reaction score
hj said:
There is no "generic" pipe installation. The purpose for each pipe depends on how it is connected to the rest of the system. Normally in your installation, one 2" vent pipe and the 4" toilet pipe would be all that were necessary. If the "left" pipe is 1 1/2" it is too small to be a vent for the toilet or to be used for a wet vent for the lavatory, but the "right" one could be the toilet vent and the left one the sink drain although if it is 1 1/2" it is smaller than most plumbers would use.

That's true! A properly done wet vent would vent all 3 fixtures and obviously that was'nt done. Here 2" is minimum for underground and it is hard to tell by the pic and we can only assume. Here 1 1/2" is suffice for an individual vent for a water closet(not underground), but we also rough them in 3". Looking at the pic all three smaller pipes look to be the same size.

CF34

Reaction score
I went down for a closer look. Yes the 2 smaller pipes are 2" and then the 4" one for toilet. I assumed, and we all know what happens when we do that, everything would be tied in already for the venting. Again, I have no plumbing experience so I don't know if I worded that correctly. The builder did mention one was a dry vent the other was a wet vent.

Thanks to all for your replies so far, it is appreciated.

Plumguy

Reaction score
CF34 said:
I went down for a closer look. Yes the 2 smaller pipes are 2" and then the 4" one for toilet. I assumed, and we all know what happens when we do that, everything would be tied in already for the venting. Again, I have no plumbing experience so I don't know if I worded that correctly. The builder did mention one was a dry vent the other was a wet vent.

Thanks to all for your replies so far, it is appreciated.

Then "assuming" that I would stick with my original post.The rest of the venting will take place once the walls are in place and hopefully the plumber left off a future vent for this bath.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sure would have been helpful if the plumber who roughed this in had used a marker to label each pipe. How hard would it be to write, TOILET VENT, TUB DRAIN, TUB/SHOWER VENT, SINK DRAIN, SINK VENT, with a marking pen?

Toolaholic

Reaction score
what we still don,t know

is there pvc directly overhead and a chance to run that 2" toilet vent up and out through the roof, or into something else. if there are other like houses in a sub division talk to your neighbors. they may already have delt with a similar layout. you can always rent a walk behind concrete saw on the weekend. what state are you in

CF34

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have taken the time to try and help me out. I am going to go to the builder and try to get the guys who did the rough in to come and tell me exactly what is what down there. Probably the best and easiest to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks