Staircase remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Mntentman

Reaction score
Hi, sorry I don't know all the terminology here but will do the best I can. The handrails and spindles on my staircase have gotten pretty trashed over the years, and a couple of spindles have recently been broken. I would like to replace most of the components, if it is possible for a DIYer.

The most immediate need is along the stairs, but there is a rail that goes along the edge of a living room, too, that sits a half story above our dining room.

Please see the attached photo, I have marked what I would like to replace and what I would like to keep. Can anyone tell me what would be involved in this project.. how difficult it might be? (It would seem that as long as I am not replacing the base... everything is just nailed to it, I assume... it might be possible?) And if it is not particularly difficult, are the components all readily available, say at a big box store?

Thanks.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 348
Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
The spindles are replaceable, even if you're trying to get exact copies, though that may take a little web searching.

Home Despot has a pretty large section, in most of their stores, that are stair-specialty sections. They carry treads, railing parts, etc, etc.

If you're replacing all the spindles, the most important thing is that they have the same dimensions in terms of fitting into the existing mortise. The length you'll be cutting yourself.

HE

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics if your rail was installed as an assembly, or just how the spindles area attached to the top rail. There are techniques to replace individual spindles, and it may require expert carpenter skills. If I wanted to tackle this, I would look for a great carpenter forum on the net. I am sure there is some help out there.

3m

Reaction score
There are some expert carpenters on this site and from the looks of the very bad picture you posted you may have a handrail with a groved slot that the spindles are nailed in place with a piece or trim between the spindles. Take a better picture and post it if you would

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
It's actually pretty straightforward, if all you do is replace the broken / missing spindles.

If you're lucky, you can find matching spindles at the box stores. If not, bring one of them to any local lumberyards, maybe they have a match.

(Note: do not expect a ton of service on this from the lumberyard guys. Remember you're small fry to them, be polite, be low-maintenance. I mention this because lumberyard counter guys might save you thousands, on some other project, with the right piece of info, IF THEY LIKE YOU. Some asses are worth kissing: lumberyard counter guys rank high on the list.)

If you can't get a match, the lumberyard counter guys should know who in the area makes custom spindles. That person, can make matching spindles for you.

Somewhere uder the railing, near then end, there will be a groove cut out, and a bolt in it. Like this:

http://www.stairfasteners.com/p7ssm_img_3/fullsize/RailBolts_bulk_fs.jpg

Depending on the size & shape of the groove, you might be able to get a regular wrench in there, if not, the lumberyard will have the specialized wrench. You can also find them online, pretty easily.

Warning: there's more than one size, use a regular wrench to eyeball it before going to the store.

Once the handrail is loose, you lift it up... and all your spindles fall over. You're done.

Sometimes they're nailed in, but many/most times, they're not. They're supposed to float, like the panels in a door are supposed to float, to allow for swelling/shrinkage.

Obviously, re-assembly is not a 1-person job.

If you're only replacing the broken/missing spindles, and they're on one end like that, sometimes you can get that end up high enough to free them without freeing the tops of all the others, and the whole job is pretty minor.

Replacing the railing, or the post at the bottom, is a bit more involved.

FYI, there's a carpenter-rich DIY and pro forum, over at FineHomeBuilding's website, under "breaktime".

Mntentman

Reaction score
Thanks, Frenchie, a lot of great information. I will do some more investigating as to the way this is put together. I would like to replace all the spindles, the railing and the post, but I am not sure if it is within my abilities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks