Need: Small sink bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Minni

Reaction score
I'm desperate because I need a 2-separate-sink-bowls corner configuration (to fit into 36 x 36 base cabinet) but I don't see anything smaller than the 22 x 17 Moen 22231 single bowl (with faucet holes).

As for those standard double-bowl corner sinks with faucet in center - I think they're awkward insofar as reach of faucet, handling, and positioning.

I'd appreciate advice if there's any solution to meet my needs.
:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

I am trying to visualize what you mean by individual sinks in a corner configuration. Especially to fit into a 36 x36 corner cabinet. Does the cabinet have a 90 degree corner in the front, or is it on a diagonal?

Minni

Reaction score
It's those typical corner base cabinets that are 36" wide alongside each corner wall, and that usually comes with a piano hinge.

Elkay and other companies make double-bowl-corner sinks to fit inside such cabinets.

If only they'd make those exact double-bowl-corner sinks EXCEPT with faucet holes at the rear of each bowl to mimic standard single sink bowls instead of one faucet smack in the center of both bowls. If you visualize yourself using its awkward positioning (here's a sample: http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/...=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33282) and visualize how the faucet wouldn't extend fully enough into each bowl, you'll see why I'm pulling my hair out.

So I'm seeking two SINGLE bowl sinks that can substitute for the double-bowl-corner design (excluding the ridiculous central triangular faucet-area) while still fitting into a 36x36 cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Not everyone is a "two forum" person. If you take that sink picture, cut it apart with scissors, then add a "margin" around each sink to indicate the space required for a rim, you will quickly see that it would be impossible to fit two of them into a 36" corner cabinet, (a 42" one maybe). By the time you make the overall size of the sink small enough to fit a 36" cabinet, the space left for the actual basin reduces very quickly. Secondly, in a 36" cabinet there is not much more than 12" total for the sink before the two front edges "bang" together. Again, a 42" cabinet, would work for that better, or a 36" cabinet with a diagonal front which would accomodate a conventional two bowl sink. If you are really determined to do it, then, depending on the countertop material, there are many companies that make undermount stainless steel basins only in many sizes and shapes. Then the faucets would be mounted in holes drilled through the countertop behind the sinks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You probably figured out that many of us participate in both of these excellent forums. I don't believe the forum operators hold that against us, just as I encourgage you to avail youself of both in order to maximize the feedback.

Where did you get the cabinet? Can't they help you with sink selection? And I will repeat a piece of advice which may be too late for your situation but may help others contemplating a remodel:

If you have specific fixture specifications in mind, you need to make the fixture selection in tandem with cabinet selection. It is often too late to try to find a faucet or sink which works with the cabinet you selected.

Minni

Reaction score
Re: the bar sinks, those are too small.

I'm going with laminate, so no undermount. No CounterSeal either. All too expensive.

As for design, since the IKEA is 15 x 15 (including ample space between), and the others are 14 x 16, I deduce from that that if single bowls were designed to be, say, 13.5" inner-width (15" outer-width), and 20" long outer-length (including rear-holes), I don't see why that shouldn't work.

Furthermore, even on those awkward corner sinks, I don't see why each bowl has to be a perfect square (or perfect rectangle). Why not eliminate alot of the triangle, to be replaced by actual-bowl-even-if-the-bowl-is-much-wider-at-rear, leaving just enough room for single faucet hole. At least that way, the faucet would be much closer to each bowl. Also, it's not as if there aren't double-lever faucets designed to fit inside one hole. And behind that, can be another hole for anyone wishing to install a filtration system.

Finally, thanks for the responses guys, but a brainstorm solution finally struck me last night, where I can probably use two of the Moens. Instead of the corner cabinet, I'd use a 39" blind corner for right-hand sink, and a 33" no frills cabinet for left-hand sink, with each sink placed at the right-most side of their respective cabinets. I rendered both alternatives via rough-draft GIFs on my amateur site.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks