Tampons and Rootx

Users who are viewing this thread

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
Just moved into a house couple of months ago. After one month the line backed up and I had it snaked by the home warranty. The plumber showed me it was due to roots and tampons. So I waited 2 months and applied RootX. The RootX was actually three days ago.

The basement drain overflowed tonight while the washer was emptying out. The line has drained but we are having a large party next weekend so I think I should get it snaked again. The home warranty is sending someone to snake the line tomorrow. My girlfriend told me she did accidentally flush a few tampons last week even though we agreed she should not do that for the next 9 months (I can dream right???).

- If the snaking finds roots and tampons, should I pay extra and have a camera run?

- Will snaking after RootX still work or should I apply again after two months?

Looking for any suggestions. After buying a new home I am not really in the market for a new sewage line... Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I suggest a new girlfriend that won't throw feminine products down the drain.

You have roots!

You will continue to have roots untill the day you get a new sewer line.

If your girlfriend continues to throw feminine products down the drain you will have more backups and need more frequent drain cleanings than if she didn't.

The rule for your sewer is #1, #2, and scotts single ply keeps the plumber away longer.

Like I said it shouldn't be subject to negotiation. If that is what is required get a new one!:cool:

A camera inspection may reveal that the whole line doesn't require repair, bur rather only a spot needing repairs.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The home warranty is sending someone to snake the line tomorrow ...
After buying a new home I am not really in the market for a new sewage line...

Snaking is a maintenance activity for a line in good condition, and you need a line repair. The home warranty company should know the difference, and should not be wasting their money on maintenance when they need to do a repair.

My girlfriend told me she did accidentally flush a few tampons last week even though we agreed she should not do that for the next 9 months (I can dream right???).

"Accident" is a feel-good word for "acts of negligence" ... and why did you tell her for only nine months? Everybody at my house knows you cannot *ever* flush anything other than single-ply toilet tissue until after you have eaten it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the plumber did his job correctly the roots should not have grown back enough in 2 months to be a problem...that said if the roots are large enough and the pipe compromised enough no amount of snaking will work. Like redwood said snaking is only putting off the inevatable...you will need to have it cameraed and located any way so why wait...it will tell you where, how deep and the severity of the problem as well as the cost...be sure you have them make you a copy on tape or DVD and write down the location and depth of the problem...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Root X can take months to work depending on the size of the roots...

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The plumber who services the home warranty will not camera the line after snaking even if I pay for it. They send a separate serviceman to do that. The company will also only replace the line, not use other techniques such as install a liner or jet and apply RootX.

The water will drain now but did come out the basement drain last night when there was a lot of water draining at once. I know this is not right and should not happen.

I guess I will have them snake it then find someone to do the video and give me a diagnostic.

Thanks.

Cookie

Reaction score
Get a pregnant girlfriend. ;) Your troubles will be all over.
4_1_101.gif

Last edited:

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
I also have a new piece of information, the tree is a silver maple. I read that these trees infiltrate lines moreso than Oak.

One last question, when I hire a plumber to camera the line should I select one who can perform both relineing and repiping? Can relineing be done by any plumber or only select few? Does relineing really work or should it be avoided?

thanks!

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
After buying a new home I am not really in the market for a new sewage line... Thanks!

Is this a brand new house since you mention a home warranty? New houses should have PVC pipes which should be a lot less susceptible to roots than old clay ones.

I don't understand why you would have problems again after only 2 months unless the first "snaking" did not get all the roots or there are multiple breaks in the line and the plumber only cleared the first one. Personally, I would not consider relining unless the pipe ran under a driveway or expensive landscaping.

Last edited:

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
Sorry it is an existing home, new to me.

The house was built in 1948, the sewer main is cast iron and I am guessing terra cotta in the yard. The house has a basement, and a 50 year old maple tree probably 15 feet from the line. There is very little landscaping. I will get a video from a reputable company here and take it from there I guess...looks more and more like replacement :(

Nate R

Reaction score
Sorry it is an existing home, new to me.

The house was built in 1948, the sewer main is cast iron and I am guessing terra cotta in the yard. The house has a basement, and a 50 year old maple tree probably 15 feet from the line. There is very little landscaping. I will get a video from a reputable company here and take it from there I guess...looks more and more like replacement :(

Eh, don't be so quick to say so. Get it camera'd. I thought the same thing about our line, but there were roots that weren't removed by the first cleaning that caused the 2nd cleaning. (Along with tampons, condoms, etc from the previous owners)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It's also important as to what is being used to snake the line. There are rodding tools for cutting roots and opening the drain to it's full diameter. If a properly sized root cutter is not being used it's not going to fix the problem.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Off topic but...
cacher chick, your posts are well thought out and spot on. Just thought I'd comment on that fact.
:)

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
The plumbing company whom my home warranty sent will not snake the drain because I could not get it to back-up! I asked if they could wait around while I took a shower, did the dishes and ran the washing machine but no luck. They also said I would be repsonsible for the full fee if they cleared roots out. Of course they neglected to tell me this information before they showed up!

Now I have hired someone to snake and video the line... Will post the video.

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90gmWLZ8Uw

40 ft: exits house
48 ft: roots and separation
53 ft: completely full of roots
61 ft: transition from cast iron to Transite or Orangeburg
90 ft: city street Starts
93 ft: root intrusion beginning
100 ft: city main tap

Suggestions of what to look for while I collect bids?

- Repair?
- Reline?
- Trench New Pipe?

The idea of ripping up the city street does not excite me...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea it may not excite you but those separations are not going to get any better.

Did the drain cleaning company charge you for the second call?
If they did you want the money back!
Both of those roots should have been removed!

What did they propose for a repair?
From the looks of the pipe replacement, relining and pipe bursting are all viable options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks