Shower drain help

Users who are viewing this thread

tzzoooma

Reaction score
I've replaced the 1.5" drain with a 2".

Finally got under to see the connections, and the 1.5" drain line hooks
up to the 1.5" vent and 2" drain with a sanitary tee with those 3 size openings.

Can I/should I replace the 1.5" shower drain line with a 2"?

If so, is there a sanitary tee that has 2" openings on both sides and 1.5" on top for the vent? The one there now as I said is 1.5" one side, 2" other side, and 1.5" on top for vent.

Marty53

Reaction score

I haven't seen that fitting at blue or orange box stores. you could just get a 2" Tee and use a 1.5x2" hub on the vent side. Is the existing tee vertical or horizontal? If horizontal you have to use a combo wye or wye/45

Marty53

Reaction score

you could put a fernco coupler on the vent line and do something like this that I just did (the old galvanized fittings I took out used a Tee on its back just like your situation). I changed it to a wye and a 45:

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 823

tzzoooma

Reaction score
CIMG4297.jpg

Thanks, but there isn't much room left to access the vent line, maybe 2 inches of it after i cut away the tee. Not sure how I could do it now, maybe just live with the shower drain reduced to 1.5" and then into the current tee? Any ideas?

Marty53

Reaction score

Its not "legal" to reduce the size of a drain, so you will have to fix this to be up to code. It looks like you have enough room there to put a 2" combo wye with 1.5" reducing hub on the vent end. You'll just have to cut back the drain line coming from the shower a little more to be able to fit it in and you should be fine.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can not legally use a neoprene Fernco coupler above ground. If you need to use a coupler, use the banded or no-hub style. Very similar, but these offer ridge support to the joint that the neoprene alone does not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks