Help needed with broken stop cox

Users who are viewing this thread

Daphne

Reaction score
Hi there, New to forum & blond on top of it!!! Had a leaking tap in bathroom which I wanted to put new washer in. Turned off water at stop cox outside bathroom only to find it was for toilet not taps. Don't know what year last it was turned off, suspect it got rusted as now it just turns and turns & I can not get water on again. Can not find the main water stop cox so that I can turn water off to replace that one. Is it possible to take top off & turning water on again without water gushing out? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Essentially, no, you can't take that apart with the water main shutoff still on. If you can't get the water to the house shut off to replace this, it may be time for a plumber...

Depending on where you live and the local rules, you may be able to access the water company's main shutoff to the house, but even they sometimes leak since they don't get used often.

There are some special tools that allow working on a water line still pressurized, but they're not cheap, and not likely something you'd want to buy for a one-time use.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh, so we're not going to jump all over the spelling of cock ? Jeeze you guys are no fun anymore:D

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At the risk of taking this whole thing out of family hour! The spelling for a water shut-off is cock. like sillcock, stopcock, etc.

Do not even think about trying to work on something without turning off the main. This is a recipe for disaster. Many things could go wrong, and leave you up the creek without a paddle....literally!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

YOU should not do anything other than to call a plumber. There should not have been a valve outside the room which turned off the toilet but not the faucets. You would have to be incredibly lucky to find any parts to repair the valve, and replacing it is probably beyond your DIY skills.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Does not sound like the poster is from the US to me.

It has a British ring to it.

What are all these tea parties about? I find that rather insensitive.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Tin Foiling Your Face
Take some tin foil, about arms length, and start folding long ways, until you have enough that will cover your face. Now, carefully, place the tin foil over your face, and make a cast. Push carefully, because you don’t want to be cut by tin foil! Once you have a cast of your face, cut any excess tin foil on the edges, and then cut out the areas where your eyes would be, and also make a small hole or slit over where your nasal holes (Nose) are. Put the tin foil over your face again and make sure you have gotten the areas right.

Duct Taping Your Face
Now that you have your case of your face, it’s time to duct tape it. I highly recommend using small pieces (2x3 or whatever) instead of long pieces of tape, so that you don’t mess up. Don’t worry; you can make it look better later. Start placing pieces of tape around the edges of the face first, and then the eyes and nose holes. Now just tape the outside, then the inside. If you have done right, your face should be duct tapeified! I made a mouth hole when I was making my face. You don’t have to do this, because once your done, it will be easier to make the face however you want (You’ll understand what I mean later) I duct taped the mouth over. If you want to, do a little bit more cutting, until you’re comfortable with your (Not quite finished) Design.

Tin Foiling Your Head
This part’s easy. Just wrap some tin foil around the top of your head, and then duct tape it. Simple. Now duct tape it to the duct tape face, be sure that you try them both out separately, so that you are comfortable with them together. If your careful, they should fit. I recommend overlapping the two pieces a little. Have the face inside or outside of the cranium piece.

The Back of Your Head
This piece adds some stability in your helmet. We’re going to make it so that it doesn’t cover all of the back of your head, so that you’ll be able to get out.
Just make a rectangular piece of tin foil, put it on the back of your head, put on the helmet, adjust the rectangular piece so it’s comfortable, and take a small piece of tape and tape the rectangle to the top of the mask. Now duct tape the rest. Yeah, lookin’ good.

The Sides
Basically do exactly like what you did for the back, but do it on the sides.

Finish it
Now that you’re done, just cut up the face to a design that you want. Mines cool, but I bet yours would be cooler.
I also added a little strap on the back, so that it’s easier to keep the helmet on. It was easy to do.

And that's how you make a duct tape helmet.

FJL1HNCFIRYJT6Y.MEDIUM.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What are all these tea parties about? I find that rather insensitive.

It's just something the GOP is doing trying to absolve themselves of any of the blame for the mess we are in...:mad:

Geez if they didn't screw to pooch who did?:cool:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
First Boston harbor and now this?

All that fine tea going to waste?

One cannot help wonder why you guys don't like paying taxes?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If we thought we were actualy getting something for the money we probably wouldn't be quite so pissed.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes, cocky companies traditionally have not fared so well in America.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Daphne, the OP, does give her location as South Africa. Neither a Yank nor a Pommy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks