PDA

View Full Version : Flush valve repair?

dbouton
10-19-2004, 06:37 AM
I posted a few weeks back thinking I had a leaky flapper. I replaced it and am still having a problem. What I think is going on is this: I turned the water off going to the toilet. About 10 hours later I took the lid off and half the water had emptied and then stopped leaking. So this told me it wasn't the flapper since all the water would be gone. I put more water in and noticed water leaking into the toilet again (the same place it comes in to refill) which I believe it's called the flush valve (the tube coming up from the flapper where the hose goes into it). I think this has a crack in it at the spot where it stopped leaking. Now I know I could replace it but I will only be in the house about 6 more months because a property management company is buying it and tearing it down to build apartments. So basically I want a quick fix. Is there a "glue" I can put on the crack that will hold. It's a plastic fitting and I wasn't sure if there was something that would hold up once water got on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Dawn

jimbo
10-19-2004, 07:30 AM
1. Put some food coloring in the tank. See if you can actually see the spot where water is leaking through a crack in the flush valve/overflow tube. Given your situation, if you can find the spot, I would patch it with an epoxy putty available at any hardware store.

2. Your problem could be caused by a small black refill tube which runs from the filling valve over to the overflow tube. If this tube is inserted down into the overflow, ( it SHOULD end ABOVE the overflow and spray down into it), siphoning will take place giving similar symptoms to what you have.

dbouton
10-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the helpful info. The tube only goes in slightly (1/2 inch) into the overflow and it does not sit in any water which I'm assuming would cause siphoning. I'll try the food coloring. There's a lot more to toilets then I ever imagined. Thanks again for the help.

LonnythePlumber
10-19-2004, 08:00 PM
There's a lot more to toilets then I ever imagined. But it's also good not to use too much imagination when it comes to toilets.

jimbo
10-20-2004, 07:14 PM
There is not any water in the overflow tube , but there is water in the little refill tube. If the end of that tube is below the water level in the tank, it WILL siphon. This is such a common and misunderstood problem, you should move that tube up temporarily, just to eliminate this common possibility.

wallyp
11-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Ihad the same proublm, replaced the rubber flaper, no
help, then i seen the water would go down to a cert. level
then stop. I glued the pipe for something else to try, it
worked the glue i used was ELMER'S MUCILAGE, just because i
had it around, i glued the whole pipe.