Dishwasher not cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Seayers

Reaction score
I replaced a 20 year old dishwasher with a new Admiral dishwasher. But it is not cleaning anybetter than the old one. Coffe stain on cups and a flim on plates and silverware. I am thinking i need to install a water softer. My water is real hard. I have not had it checked but i think this is the problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dw

It could be that, or unless the DW has its own heater, the water may be "cold" from sitting in the pipes so that you are washing with cold water.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Another thought, are you using the recommended amount of detergent? Trying to cut back will lead to problems.

Hard water can also be a major part of the problem as you mentionied.

Paul

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You did not get a top of the line model. Check the features: does it have preheat? If not, it is imperative to run a kitchen faucet until hot water comes from the tap, before you start the DW. Dishwashing detergents absolutely do not work in cold or warm water. They prefer 140º, which is too hot a setting on your water heater, but it shoul be at 125º at least.

I assume you have one or two spray arms but not three. So placement of dishes and cups in the racks is important.

Seayers

Reaction score
dishwasher

jimbo said:
You did not get a top of the line model. Check the features: does it have preheat? If not, it is imperative to run a kitchen faucet until hot water comes from the tap, before you start the DW. Dishwashing detergents absolutely do not work in cold or warm water. They prefer 140º, which is too hot a setting on your water heater, but it shoul be at 125º at least.

I assume you have one or two spray arms but not three. So placement of dishes and cups in the racks is important.

Jimbo
Thanks
it does not have a preheat. But it does have 3 spray arms. I will check the water heater and run the tap for hot water next time.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Having suffiently hot water makes the difference between barely cleaning and good cleaning on most dishwashers. For many situations, a preheater is almost required. On a long cycle, the water can be off 20-30 minutes or more between filling and can cool off a lot, especially in the winter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks