Burst pipe in wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Bloomfieldct

Reaction score
I successfully (almost) installed a pedestal sink in upstairs bathroom. Turned on the supply line valve in the basement, and water immediately began pouring from the basement ceiling above the pipe. I assume that because I failed to turn the sink faucet on before opening the supply line, the pressure from the supply burst a pipe somewhere in the wall. I assume I now have to start opening the walls to find the break. But before I do I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for this humbled DIY'er. Thanks

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Oh sorry to hear about this. You have to be really careful how you treat pipe behind walls when you are working on it from the front to avoid joints breaking loose.

Your only hope might be if the pipe that coming out of the wall is screwed into an ell in the wall. Perhaps this came loose when you loosened the shut-off valve?

I think more information and some pictures would really be needed though.

Either way, time to call a plumber now.

With DIY, you win some and you lose some.

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Certainly was not because you didn't have the faucet open when you turned the water on. It is odd that there isn't a shutoff under the pedestal but rather in the basement. Gonna need to know what pipes you are working with. Copper, galvanized, PEX, CPVC, etc.

Bloomfieldct

Reaction score
...With DIY, you win some and you lose some.

That's for sure! I'm resisting calling the plumber just yet (no real emergency here since it's a second bathroom, other than a bunch of guests coming for Easter weekend), until I'm convinced I have to. I'll take some pics.

Bloomfieldct

Reaction score
Funny, I assumed it was because of the pressure buildup with the faucet turned off, because I couldn't think of any other cause.

There is a shutoff valve under the sink, but I replaced the valves (went from cabinet sink to pedestal, and they were hideous) so I had to turn off from the basement.

It's all 50-year old copper piping. It's the cold water line, so there is a connection behind the bathroom wall to the toilet, other than that it should be a straight shot from the basement. I guess I may have jostled something loose when I was changing the valve??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The "pressure buildup" is the same regardless of whether the faucet was open or closed, OR whether you turned the valve on slowly or fast. You have some other problem and it may be very minor once you figure out what happened, because installing a pedestal lavatory does NOT break pipes in the wall unless they were already on the verge of breaking.

Bloomfieldct

Reaction score
Here's a video of the leak from the basement. My thought is that, since the water pours out so quickly after turning the valve, the source of the leak is close to the basement (e.g. behind a first-floor wall, as opposed to the upstairs bath). Note that the leak is only from the hole in the ceiling, not the visible joint. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIq07QE0xs

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I loved the video.
I think you are right, the water source must be very near.

I wonder what a fish eye camera would do in the wall.

But then I've never had one either.
Normally, I make an educated guess, and then start cutting drywall.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I cannot think of a worse job that being a mini see snake.

Poor thing.

Bloomfieldct

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. My wife is hoping for an Oscar nomination for Best Short Film. Thanks everyone for your thoughts & suggestions. Once the family departs tomorrow I'm going to try to isolate the leak -- I'm encouraged by the consensus that it's probably at a joint. Fortunately the most likely area (according to my educated guess) is behind cabinets in the kitchen, so I can make some test holes without risking divorce.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually for this job my choice would be the Ridgid See-Snake Micro...
The things you can see through a drill hole...
http://www.ridgid.com/seesnakemicro/video/

SSmv2_17_Beauty%20w-acc_3C.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I find it's a big help in finding leaks in some of the older multi story balloon frame homes. A lot of them a leak on the 3rd floor could first appear in the basement. It's a lot easier to sell the idea of drilling a few small holes in the wall to find leak instead of bustin out plaster walls in the 3 floors above to find it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Mine is first gen of the camera. It works just fine, it just uses an old dial to turn on and adjust the intestacy of the light, instead of the push buttons. The newest one will take a snap shot for you and save it on an SD card.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mine is first gen of the camera. It works just fine, it just uses an old dial to turn on and adjust the intestacy of the light, instead of the push buttons. The newest one will take a snap shot for you and save it on an SD card.

Same here...
The moment I first saw it I knew it was a tool I should have.
I never upgraded cause I figure there is no need for snapshots.
They know there is a leak when they call and once I locate where it is they will see it up close and personal soon enough.

Heck, I'll present them with the busted pipe if they want it!:D

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Same here...
The moment I first saw it I knew it was a tool I should have.
I never upgraded cause I figure there is no need for snapshots.
They know there is a leak when they call and once I locate where it is they will see it up close and personal soon enough.

Heck, I'll present them with the busted pipe if they want it!:D

Sir / Madam, may I present you with your trophy burst pipe. Thank you for playing, that will be $$$$.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks