hot water valve washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I have replaced the hot water valve washer on the tub about every two - three years for the last 15.

I have ground down the base to make sure it is smooth.

I have been using washers from a local hardware store.

Is there a special washer for the hot water valve or a recommended manufacturer?

Is there another cause for this rapid failure? The original washer, that was there before I bought the house, lasted about 8 years.

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Two to three years is not too bad. A lot depends on who is using the shower. A person with gorilla fists to turn it off will wear washers sooner.

For most showers, grinding the seat is not the best answer. Unless you are really good and have good tooling, it will not be that good. Almost all shower seats can be unscrewed and replaced. Unless you purchase the Monel seat available for PP and some other models, then replace the seat with every washer.

Red or blue washers have longer life than black ones.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washers

There are many grades of washer, neoprene, nylon, silicone, rubber, fiber, etc. Each has its benefits, but why are you dressing the seats instead of replacing them. You probably do not have the tool which restores the original curvature to the seat so the washer will wear quickly. What brand is the faucet, because maybe replacing the washers is not the best repair for it.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
valve seat

The comments have left the body of my experience.

There is what I would call a valve seat that fits between the washer and the valve housing. It does come out and may, if not so old as to be obsolete, be replaceable.

The washer is flat and the seat is a, maybe 1/16", raised edge. I see nothing that would indicate a bevel.

Water shut-off is accomplished by the rubber washer pressed to the raised edge of the "seat."

Thanks for the confirmation on varying washer specifications.

Is there a better type to use with hot water applications?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks