Different "Grades" of PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark_G

Reaction score
We are just about to have our new home in upstate NY roughed. Are there different grades of PEX (or other supply piping) that we should consider?

I would also appreciate thoughts on the 3 things to watch out for in the rough-in installation.

Thanks! --Mark

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The fittings and crimp are most important. Make sure the fittings are bronze (no more than 1% zinc) otherwise they can/will fail. I am partial to the Propress crimped sleeve or Wirsbo expanded plastic sleeve ... I do not feel comfortable with the crimp ring that requires a "go" / "nogo" gage.

Mark_G

Reaction score
Plumber says he uses "Pecks" fittings and doesn't know what their composition is. Are there different materials or specs on these fittings? Thank you for clarification! --Mark

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Wirsbo...is the way to go if you don't want to have any known problems that have been associated with some of the PEXes...

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Plumber says he uses "Pecks" fittings and doesn't know what their composition is. Are there different materials or specs on these fittings? Thank you for clarification! --Mark

Only "Pecks" I know of are these guys:

469724361_l.jpg

Better yet than the other fittings listed are Wirsbo EP fittings.

tritontr

Reaction score
Mark go to www.mobilehomerepair.com click on the (forums) category then near the bottom of the page click on (off topic discussions) then the post (Pex installation handbook) download the link it will tell you all you need to know.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
The fittings and crimp are most important. Make sure the fittings are bronze (no more than 1% zinc) otherwise they can/will fail. I am partial to the Propress crimped sleeve or Wirsbo expanded plastic sleeve ... I do not feel comfortable with the crimp ring that requires a "go" / "nogo" gage.

What about Wirsbo EP fittings and manifolds?

DirtyDen

Reaction score
Grades of PEX

Your question about grades...Yes there are grades of PEX. Look for a PEX5006 or higher (5206). PEX1006 and even 3006 are not of the best quality. Equally as important is the connection and fittings. I also would recommend the "press" fittings as opposed to the expansion or crimp.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might misinterpret the manufacturing method (-A, -B, -C are available) for a quality, but it isn't. There are differences, for example, -A is the most flexible and can be bent into the smallest radius for any given size tubing, but if their quality control is good, any can be decent. -A tends to cost the most. -A is also the only one that can be restored to full function without cutting and splicing if it happens to get kinked during installation. Wirsbo only makes -A.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks