tub and shower shutoff key

Users who are viewing this thread

chasetigger

Reaction score
I would like to know if there is such a thing as a shutoff key or wrench i work for an apartment complex and we have tile showers and every time we have to change the stems in the manifold we have to shut down the whole complex to do so and more times than not we end up ripping tiles from the shower wall in order to access the shutoff valves to get visegrip or pliers inside to turn them off

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
What are you going to do when you have to change a stop for the kitchen sink or toilet¿ Same scenario, right¿ Sounds like a main valve for each unit would be the ticket.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the shower valves have isolation stops on them, and the tile installers did not leave access , then you have a lousy tile installer. I realize that is ancient history now, and there is no easy answer.

A shower valve which has integral stops has trim which will cover the access to the stop. If you have this situation, you simply have to worry away some tile with a chisel or rotozip for access. The stops usually are screwdriver operated. If this is stripped, or not working, then you have to shut down and repair the stop.

chasetigger

Reaction score
we have access to problem valves

the problem is the complex i work for is appr.40 years and most of the valves have been replaced and have the same size star as the stems but are not excessable to the stem handle and do not have the screwdriver slot so i was hoping someone could help me locate a t-handle wrench of some sort

chasetigger

Reaction score
i reaally need to know if they have a wrench or key

what i really need to know if there is some kind of t-handle wrench or key there is little i can do to question yhe way the tub and tile was put together

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If a tub/shower valve was purchased with shutoffs, they usually are just a screwdriver slot...no special 'key' required. Since they are often an extra cost, and, from the pros on here just may not work 20-30 years down the road when service may be needed, and, might be covered over by remodeling so they are no longer accessable or the service doesn't require removing the trim (which is usually required to see and access them), most of the time aren't very useful in the first place (except maybe during initial installation).

If someone installed a non-standard in-line shutoffs, all bets are off, it could require anything to access.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks