Porcelain tub refinish - POR-15, Whitecote

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Have you had any experience with POR-15's Whitecote product in repairing and refinishing a cast iron sink or tub?

I have had great success with POR-15 in rust restoration on my car and do not have great confidence in tub refinishing companies given the critical requirements of preparation.

Whitecote never came up surfing "tub refinishing" but given my success with POR-15 I contacted them to see if POR-15 could be used and found out they have Whitecote for refinishing porcelain.

I am not finding many reviews or postings by users and really would like that bit of confirmation.

Have you had a failure in using Whitecote that is not attributable to a know shortcut in preparation and application? The worst my expectations are now is the difficulty of working in a dust free environment to get a good smooth finish.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Report on application:
WhiteCote renamed to "2k Urethane".

I did exhaustive study into prep and conditions for application.
Numerous calls to POR-15 for specifics and clarifications.

FAIL:
- Cannot put on fast enough to maintain a wet edge and thin enough that it does not run.
- Dry edges pill up and put debris in the finish.
- Estimate working time to be less than 30 minutes.
- May work if sprayed. May work on smaller fixtures than a tub. May work in a laboratory controlled environment, whatever that may be. I applied in approx. 73 degrees and 50% humidity.

- Did not work on a tub.
- Major fail. Major rework required

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks