Use of a Sanitary tee vs wye combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why a sanitary tee on it's side on a horizontal branch is not acceptable. From what I am reading a tee wye combo is what is supposed to be used. My old house has 4" C.I. and the toilets have a short lead bend directly under the flange and then they are connected to the horizontal branch with sanitary tees. I am going to replace the entire branch with PVC. If I drop down to 3" I probably can use tee-wyes...If I stay at 4" there is no way I hve enough room to make the turns. 40 years it has worked and never had an issue....of any kind. I would prefer to stay with the 4" as when I look at the 3" PVC...it just looks like a clog is more likely with the smaller I.D. ????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bend

It is a matter of hydraulic flow dynamics. It was not proper when it was installed, but must have slipped by somehow. Depending on the space involved, usually all that is required to do it correctly is to rearrange the piping slightly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks