DWV Test Plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
I'm basically redoing all the plumbing inside an old house and will soon need to do the DWV water test.

I'm planning to plug the 4" pipe just outside the foundation at the 2-way cleanout to seal off the system in the house. I'm using closet flanges with knockouts and glue on test caps at all the fixture drains. I then plan to use a rubber test cap with a hose bib installed on one of the inside pipes to attach a hose (w/backflow prevention) for filling the system with water.

My only problem is what to use to plug the 4" pipe at the cleanout. The clean out extends above grade and the actual drain pipe is probably about 12" below grade. Sioux Chief makes an inflatable plug I could insert in there, but WOW they are expensive for the one time I will use them.

Anybody have a less expensive way to plug the 4" PVC drain pipe for the DWV water test?

Thanks,
Joel

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plug

Not now, and you would have to use a "long" test plug which is even pricier. When you installed the cleanouts you could have inserted a "pop out' plug with a cord on it into the hub of the fitting. After the test you pull the cord and the plug part breaks loose and comes out.

cherne_long_test_ball.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwray

Reaction score
Maybe not too late for the "pop out" test plug

HJ - Please tell me more about this "pop out" test plug. I am not familiar with them. I have not yet done the assembly, but will start tomorrow. I was thinking ahead to the upcoming test and trying to figure out how I would plug the line with minimal expense.

I am connecting my new plumbing to the old plumbing at a fitting where I think I could install such a plug. It is up stream of the outside 2way cleanout I mentioned earlier about 2 feet. Could I insert the "pop out" test plug in this fitting before assembling and fish the cord out of the 2 way cleanout for later removal.

Also, who makes these "pop out" test plugs and where can I get them?

As always thanks for the great advice.

Joel

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plug

It is a disc with a lightly secured "dome" plug in the center. It is glued into the hub between the two cleanuts with the cord and the "T' handle coming up thorugh the downsteam one. Once the test is completed, the handle is "jerked" and it separates the disc from the glued in portion allowing the water to drain down the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks