Dishwasher location. Left or right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on where to put in the dishwasher. The kitchen is fairly small. Some other background info: I am on a well/septic tank. Well seems to be pretty strong. A single gould pump under the house feeds a welltrol tank. There is no water treatment system. Opposite the kitchen is a smal laundry room. So the drain line would be shared by the kitchen sink, washing machine and the new dishwasher. We have settled on getting the 17 or 18" size as opposed to the standard size. So which side of the sink do you think it should be installed? The countertops are granite and I'd like to not have to disturb them in this installation. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure I left something out. Please let me know what you think and thanks in advance.
Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As a far as left or right, the person who loads and unloads the DW should make that decision.

I suggest that you should replace the faucet with a single handle model with in-deck sprayer. That will free up the hole your sprayer is in for the air gap, which may be required in your area, but should be installed whether or not it is mandatory.

I was going to suggest to forget the 18" DW, as they cost as much as a much better featured 24" model. But seeing the pic of your cabinets, the 18 may be your only option.

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Hi, before tackiling a kitchen reno,where the sink will be moved on a new wall with new plumbing, my question is the following, does it matter if a dishwasher is to be placed on left or right of the sink.

thx
habs fan

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Not if the plumbing is in the correct location.

You need to ask her. lol

I stand on both sides of the sink.

Good Luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a U-shaped kitchen, and my DW is on the opposite side of the U from the sink...whatever is easier for you. A modern DW does not need the dishes to be pre-rinsed, just scrape off the big stuff, so proximity to the sink is more for the water supply and drainage connections. ANd, if you scrape them off into a recycling bin or a trash can, could be quite far from the sink. Mine happens to open where it's easiest to move the stuff to their places in the cabinets.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Jimbo has the final answer on this one.

I sure do miss him.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The dishwasher connects to the sink's plumbing, so there is no difference left or right, and no "new plumbing" to do it either. The normal flow would be from the counter to the disposer to the rinse sink and into the DW. If that flow is followed, then the location of the DW will be obvious.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks