need to cap lead pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

harvbert

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 4" lead pipe sticking out of my basement concrete floor which I believe was for a toilet once upon a time, house is 50 years old.
This lead pipe sticks up about 8" and I would like to cut it off at floor level and permanently cap it off. I would like it to be flush wih the floor to get back that small but valuable floor space. From the looks of the original DWV setup in the basement they roughed in for a basment washroom but never finished it. At this point the previous owners roughed in a washroom at a different location, which I intend to finish.
What options do I have to cap this lead pipe?
I heard of a screw in metal fitting with self tapping, tapered threads for lead pipe but have no idea where to find such a fitting.
Would a mechanical type (screw/wingnut) test plug be OK as a premanent cap?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get a test plug

they make different test plugs that would go down into the pipe

they make an inflateable neopreme ball that would plug up
the hole ...then concrete it permanently into place...

I have seen many differnet ways to do this

plug the hole up with plastic bags , rags ect

then cement over the whole area.

whatever you feel comfortable with.

cement works best , its just a question as to how water
and vapor tight you wish it to be..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks